1. 1542 - Explorer Cabrillo discovered Santa Catalina Island off California coast.
2. 1777 - American Revolutionary War: Americans beat the British in the Second Battle of Saratoga, also known as the Battle of Bemis Heights.
3. 1864 - American Civil War: U.S.S. "Wachusett" captures the C.S.S. "Florida" Confederate raider ship while in port in Bahia, Brazil.
4. 1958 - U.S. manned space-flight project renamed Project Mercury.
5. 2003 - Gray Davis is recalled as Governor of California, three years before the official end of his office term. Film star Arnold Schwarzenegger is elected Governor.
1. 1885 - Niels Bohr, Danish physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d.1962)
2. 1966 - Toni Braxton, American singer
3. 1976 - Taylor Hicks, American musician
1. 1849 - Edgar Allan Poe, American writer (b. 1809)
2. 1925 - Christy Mathewson, American baseball player (b. 1880)
1. Feast day of Pope Mark.